Stray animals are held for a minimum of 10 days. After 10 days, the animal belongs to WCHS, to adopt out, transfer to another no kill organization, etc. Owners of lost pets may reclaim them during our hours of operation, 11-5, all days except Mondays & Holidays. There is a $10.00 charge per day for care we provide, as well as payment for any vaccines we gave to prevent diseases at our facility. A valid identification and vet records/photographic documentation as proof of ownership must be presented to us before the animal is released.
In the event of a lost pet you can:
- File a lost pet report and ask where your animal will be taken if s/he is picked up by one of these agencies.
- Inquire about any animals in their care that match your pet’s description.
- Notify the vet clinic or microchip company and let them know your pet is missing.
- Check that they have current contact information for you.
- Talk to your neighbors and any neighborhood businesses.
- Post notices throughout the neighborhood using a clear, up-to-date photo. Offering a reward can be helpful.
- When your pet is found, remember to take down any notices you’ve posted around your neighborhood and online.